Senior Data Scientist | Jan 2020
Othot Inc. Pittsburgh, PA
- Develop data science and machine learning solutions using Python
- Build, validate, and troubleshoot data science models using internal tools and metrics and performed individual research on several modeling problems
- Communicate data science results and insights to other Othot team members and our customers
- Review new customer data to identify significant changes or issues in the data or predictions
- Perform stringent data checks to identify and address inconsistent data issues and leak variables
- Collaborate in designing and improving the functionalities of internal tools and the Othot platform
- Automate data science activities and apply best software practices
Computational Engineering Fellow | Jan 2019 – May 2019
NuMat Technologies, Inc. Skokie, IL
- Development of a proprietary Python library for computational materials design. Automation and simplification of various molecular simulations tools and integration with high-performance cloud computing (AWS). Creating a workflow to perform reproducible and trackable experiments. Using the tools developed, research was performed to discover next generation candidate materials.
- Design and 3D printing of a custom part to improve speed and decrease material loss during production.
- Process controller development (hardware and software) with a web interface.
Clinical Research Intern | Aug 2013 - Sep 2013
AbbVie Pharmaceutical Research & Development Istanbul, Turkey
- Examined the procedures of various phase clinical trials, organized and translated official documents.
- Studied the mechanism of action for several drugs in trial and presented the simplified mechanisms to clinical research department personnel.
Quality Control and Production Intern | Aug 2011 - Sep 2011
EVYAP Sabun, Yağ, Gliserin Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. Istanbul, Turkey
- Learned various quality control methods and observed the production of various hygienic and cosmetic products.
- Investigated the quality problems and suggested new solutions to overcome these problems by making a presentation to the related departments and their coordinators.
PhD student in Chemical & Petroleum Engineering | Sep 2015 - Jan 2020
University of Pittsburgh, Swanson School of Engineering Pittsburgh, PA
Dissertation Title: Computational materials design for molecular machinery: From nanoporous crystals to nanoscale racecars
Adviser: Dr. Christopher E. Wilmer
M.S. in Chemical & Biological Engineering | Sep 2013 – June 2015
Koc University, Graduate School of Science and Engineering Istanbul, Turkey
Dissertation Title: “Computational and Experimental Investigation of Methane Adsorption in Pure and Ionic Liquid Modified Metal-Organic Frameworks”
Advisers: Dr. Seda Keskin & Dr. Alper Uzun
B.S. in Chemical & Biological Engineering | Sep 2008 – June 2013
Koc University, School of Engineering Istanbul, Turkey
Energy and Environmental Engineering Track
Erasmus Exchange Program | Feb 2012 – Aug 2012
Eindhoven University of Technology, School of Engineering Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Graduate Research Assistant | Sep 2015 – Jan 2020
Hypothetical Materials Lab (WilmerLab), University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA
- Working on several projects to develop new computational methods for the discovery of novel materials, focusing on supramolecular structures and metal-organic frameworks.
- Collaborating with faculty and fellow graduate students across departments to pursue experimental synthesis of hypothetical structures discovered by these computational tools.
Graduate Research Assistant | Sep 2013 – June 2015
Nanomaterials, Energy and Molecular Modelling Research Group, Koc University Istanbul, Turkey
- Performed grand canonical Monte Carlo (GCMC) and Molecular Dynamics (MD) simulations of Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs) to screen these materials for gas storage and separation applications.
- Investigated the structural and thermodynamic properties of MOFs to understand methane adsorption mechanism and constructed models to predict methane storage of MOFs at various temperature and pressures.
Graduate Research Assistant | Sep 2013 – June 2015
Koc University Tupras Energy Center (KUTEM) Istanbul, Turkey
- Investigated post-synthetic modifications of MOFs and zeolites using ionic liquids to enhance gas storage/selectivity performances concentrating on flue gas separation. Prepared and characterized composite materials by TGA, XRD, FT-IR, surface area, pore volume, and various gas adsorption measurements.
Visiting Research Assistant | Feb 2012 - July 2012
Energy Materials & Devices Research Group, Eindhoven University of Technology Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Designed, fabricated and analyzed enzyme (glucose oxidase) dispersed carbon nanotube electrodes. Measured their glucose oxidation performances using various electrochemical measurements.
7) Chao, Z., Sezginel, K. B., Xu, K., Crouch, G. M., Gray, A. E., Wilmer, C. E., Bohn, P. W., Go, D. B., and Fullerton-Shirey, S. K. Silver Nanofilament Formation Dynamics in a Polymer‐Ionic Liquid Thin Film by Direct Write Advanced Functional Materials, 20 (2019): 1-8.
2) Basdogan, Y., Sezginel, K. B. and Keskin, S. Identifying highly selective metal organic frameworks for CH4/H2 separations using computational tools. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 54.34 (2015): 8479-8491.
1) Sezginel, K. B., Uzun, A. and Keskin S. Multivariable linear models of structural parameters to predict methane uptake in metal–organic frameworks. Chemical Engineering Science 124 (2015): 125-134.
Oral presentations only
Sezginel, K. B., Nash J. and Wilmer, C.E., “How to Design a Fast Nanocar.”, AIChE 2019, Orlando, FL, November 11, 2019. Click here for slides
Sezginel, K. B., Nash J. and Wilmer, C.E., “Tools for computational design of artificial molecular machines.”, ACS 2019, Orlando, FL, April 4, 2019. Click here for slides
Sezginel, K. B., Babaei H. and Wilmer, C.E., “Computational Screening of Thermal Conductivity of MOFs.”, MOF 2018 Young Investigator Symposium, Rotorua, NZ, Dec. 8, 2018.
Sezginel, K. B., Asinger P. A., Babaei H. and Wilmer, C.E., “Thermal transport in interpenetrated metal-organic frameworks.”, AIChE Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, Oct. 31, 2018.
Sezginel, K. B. and Wilmer, C.E., “Surface Diffusion of Large Molecules: A Computational Study.”, AIChE Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, Oct. 28, 2018.
Sezginel, K. B. and Wilmer, C.E., “Tools for computational design of artificial molecular machines.”, Avogadro User Group Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, August 25, 2018.
Sezginel, K. B., Asinger P. A., Babaei H. and Wilmer, C.E., “Thermal transport in entangled metal-organic frameworks.”, Simulators Meeting, Midwest Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, June 4, 2018.
Sezginel, K. B., Asinger P. A., Babaei H. and Wilmer, C.E., “Thermal transport in entangled metal-organic frameworks.”, Simulators Meeting, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, May 22, 2018.
Sezginel, K.B., Feng T., Wilmer, C.E., “Theoretical Prediction of Interpenetrating Metal-Organic Frameworks”, AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Nov. 15, 2016.
Sezginel, K.B., Feng T., Wilmer, C.E., “Theoretical Prediction of Interpenetrating Metal-Organic Frameworks”, Simulators Meeting, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, May 25, 2016.
Sezginel K.B., Uzun A., Keskin S., “Prediction of CH₄ Storage Performance of Metal-Organic Frameworks”, AIChE Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, Nov. 17, 2014.
Sezginel K.B., Uzun A., Keskin S., “Prediction of CH₄ Storage Properties of Metal-Organic Frameworks”, NanoTR 2014, Yeditepe University Istanbul, Turkey, June 21, 2014.
Teaching and Mentoring Experience
Graduate Mentor | Spring 2016 – Present
Hypothetical Materials Lab (WilmerLab) University of Pittsburgh, PA
- Mentored three undergraduate and two master students in data collection and analysis for various projects.
- Guided the students in preparation and presentation of research findings.
Teaching Assistant | Spring 2017
ENG 0712 (Honors Engineering Analysis and Computing) University of Pittsburgh, PA
- Attended lectures to help students with the assignments and graded assignments.
Teaching Assistant | Fall 2013 & Fall 2014
CHBI 403 (Process and Product Design) Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Instructed weekly lab sessions for teaching Aspen HYSYS software. Prepared and graded quizzes for lab sessions, assigned four design projects and evaluated them, proctored the midterms and finals.
Teaching Assistant | Spring 2015
CHBI 491 (Chemical and Biological Engineering Senior Project) Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Held weekly meetings with project group members and Prof. Can Erkey to discuss the project, assisted the project group members by providing them supportive articles for their project and giving ideas.
Teaching Assistant | Spring 2014
CHEM 103 (General Chemistry) Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Attended weekly lab sessions of freshman students, graded quizzes, lab reports and midterm questions, proctored the midterms and finals.
Honors and Awards
- Braskem America Inc. Award (outstanding PhD student in Chemical Eng. Department, University of Pittsburgh)
- 2019 IBM BlueHack Hackathon in Pittsburgh, PA (2nd place)
- Molecular Sciences and Software Institute (MolSSI) Fellow (2018 Phase I)
- Startup Blitz Pitch Competition, First Place, University of Pittsburgh ($1500 prize)
- Best Graduate Paper Award (Summer ‘17), Chemical Engineering Department, University of Pittsburgh
- Attended Foresight Institute 2017 Workshop: Artificial Intelligence for Molecular Machines
- Innocentive challenge entitled Chemical Sorbents for Fixed Bed Mercury (Hg0) Control ($5000 prize)
- Full Merit Scholarship – University of Pittsburgh PhD & Koc University, BS and MS
- Best Chemical and Biological Engineering Senior Project Award (Biodiesel Production from Algae Oil)
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh STACKS featured musician (https://stacks.carnegielibrary.org/artists/kbs)
- Language: English (Advanced) TOEFL iBT (110/120), Dutch (Beginner), Turkish (Native)
- Graphics: Scientific visualization portfolio
- Lab: FT-IR (Thermo Scientific Nicolet iS10), XRD (Bruker D2 Phaser), High Pressure Volumetric Analyzer (Micromeritics HPVA II), Chemisorption Analyzer (Micromeritics Auto Chem II), TGA, Glovebox
- Interested in electronic and jazz music. Listen here
- 3-D printing, microcontrollers, home automation, woodworking, diy, bouldering, yoga
- Favorite Writers: Ray Kurzweil, Eric Drexler, Franz Kafka